PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KJFK VOR or GPS Rwy 13L / R ( Canarsie Approach )
Old 30th Jul 2006, 06:17
captain_jeeves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the Missed Approach Point ( CRI 041R 2.6 DME ), are all 3 sets of Lead-in Lights AND Rwy 13L or 13R required to be acquired visually to continue the approach, or can you continue to the first set of LDIN only if in view, then continue to the second set of LDIN if in view, and then to the third set of LDIN if in view ?
I’ve flown this approach more times than I can remember. That said, I need to qualify my following remarks with, I don't have the charts with me, and haven't flown that approach for the past few years.

However, when you say, "All 3 Lead-In-lights", if you are talking about the 3 separate "Sets of lines of lights" then, No, you only need one set at a time.

Any tips? Some pilots I know used to put waypoints in the FMS that related to the various visual points during that approach (Race Track, etc). Then, display those waypoints on the ND for orientation purposes.

Were those waypoints helpful? Since the final few minutes of this approach is basically flown in a semi-circular visual procedure, requiring a somewhat constant right turn, it did seem to be helpful when visibility was at or near minimums.

Important to note, that when JFK is using this approach, it is typically when visibility is poor, as the use of the ILS approaches (Missed Approach Paths) will infringe upon operations at LGA and the other New York Airports. So typically, you can expect to do this approach in minimal visibility conditions.

Like I’ve said so many times, do what your companies SOP allows you to do, and all should be fine.

Cheers /cj

Last edited by captain_jeeves; 30th Jul 2006 at 09:05.