PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is it so?
Thread: Why is it so?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2006, 05:07
gas-chamber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been my pleasure to train (or retrain if you like) many ex-Ansett pilots, and generally I can say that they all responded very well to new ways and new ideas. Particularly when it was pointed out to them that the people who built the airplane wrote in their manuals that it was so. And probably because they knew they would fail the final check if they didn't see the light. I can't remember any of them being unprofessional, and most (not all) were also gentlemen.
But it has also been my pain to have been checked by some ex-Ansett pilots who never got re-educated before they got into the check role. These characters were in some cases totally out of control. Wacko ideas, rigid attitudes and anal to the extreme. Blame it on the culture they came from. They had been beaten into doing it a certain way when they were F/O's or being upgraded, and they were going to damn well pass on all the furphies as well as insist that all pilots under check or training knew all the trivia no matter how irrelevant.
Those ex-Ansett pilots who have had exposure to other Airlines since (the more the better) should be an asset - those coming straight from that culture are, imho, a potential liability if put in any position of power.