PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airlink - What are their future plans?
Old 11th Dec 2001, 21:21
4g_handicap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Speedbird59,

Your idea of paying for type rating is something that I think is quite big in USA - you often see adverts for flight schools there that offer a type rating on, say a Metroliner, with the opportunity to than build block hours on the aircraft at a reasonable rate. In other words you pay for the rating and then pay to fly the right seat for a company. They normaly advertise the rate at something like 100 hours for $89 per hour.

It is also an idea that is gaining momentum here in South Africa. At least 1 operator I know of will let you pay for a C208(Caravan) rating and then they send you into Africa to fly P2 for them(they don't make you pay for the hours though). Generally they will advance you the money and then deduct it from your salary over a 6 month period.

Some people in the industry don't like these kinds of operators because they feel it is exploitation. I am not sure this is the case though. Operators have the right to try and make a profit and recent changes to legislation in South Africa has made operators put co-pilots into a C208 or King Air(Any turbine for that matter). This means a considerable cost burden for no benefit(Safety benefits notwithstanding). The right seat on a turbine is a saleable commodity, so why not let the operator turn it to his advantage. I would have jumped at the opportunity 5 years ago.

Of course a company like Link would never consider a person paying for a type rating(they do have a training bond though, which you must pay back if you leave prematurely).

Anyway, Speedbird. I seem to recall reading in a thread somewhere that you are doing a PPL in Cape Town. Is that right. Maybe we should get together for a drink when I nightstop there.

Regards