PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navigator seeks career advice!
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 18:06
India Delta Sierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigator seeks career advice!

With 2 years to go to my 38/16 I'm starting to look at the possibility of getting my licences. I have numerous hours FJ sandbagging (bzzt I know) and an elapsed PPL with 200 hrs achieved over 10 years ago.

I've been looking into the possibilities and see the following as possible options:
1. Bite the bullet and cough up about £60k to get a frozen ATPL through an established flying school (Oxford Aviation?) - expensive but good contacts
2. Complete ATPL exams through distance learning then do a modular course, saving time and money (Does PPL have to be current to start exams?)
3. Go to US/Aus and get licence before returning to UK and get JAA licence - cheaper but no contacts in UK when job seeking.

Are there any ex-navs now flying for the airlines or any other people in the 'know' who could pass on their past experiences and/or advice on the best way forward. Also, how easy will it be to get a foot in the airlines door at ~39 with virtually no hours. Do any airline acknowledge the aviation experience gained as a back seater?

I'd appreciate any serious advice (McDonalds aside) given my background.