PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick: Controllers' bomb flights unease
Old 29th Jul 2006, 16:55
Pheasant Plucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BDiONU - To a large extent - Yes.

I am quite aware that bad stuff happens all over the world every day, some of which is done in my name, by my government.

I am also fully aware that the aircraft that I control carry all manner of cargo and people (I am sure that there have been plenty of murderers, rapists and other equally unpleasant characters aboard many of the flights that have passed through my sectors), but you are very rarely confronted so directly with the potential consequences of this.

This is the point that I was making.

What you subsequently do with this information is your business. If you wish to make a strong moral point and refuse to work such traffic good luck to you (and good luck searching for further employment I don't doubt).

Personally, for better or worse, my own line in the moral sand is probably a bit further on and I wouldn't refuse to work such traffic, some of my colleagues obviously feel differently though.

To call this post 'hand wringing' is probably correct, but to casually dismiss the original information without thought, I think, is far worse.

Last edited by Pheasant Plucker; 29th Jul 2006 at 17:47.