PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Airliner Collection
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 15:29
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the two responses. Having just two does in effect symbolise the level of apathy that does exist when it comes to preserving our civil aviation heritage. I have been having a clear out prior to moving house. Amongst the many photographs that have come to light are some of the airliners at Duxford a few years ago (and the airliners that were at Cosford). They looked in quite good condition then, but photos taken not many years later show the slow but steady decline in their condition. I may add that this does not in any way decry the efforts made by the volunteers at Duxford to slow down the deterioration. It won't be too long before another 'Cosford Cull' take place this time at Duxford. Never mind though, we have a nice shiny new hanagar at Cosford containing many aircraft types that have at least one already under cover. Before too long we will have lost the opportunity to preserve a select few aircraft and also to make plans to accept more types in a controlled environmemt as they are retired.
I also see that there are yet more Spitfires about to return to the sky. Why do the preservationists have this fascination with mostly military aircraft? Finally, we must preserve whole airframes and not just the nose sections. Given the choice, I would rather lose the whole aircraft than be left with what equates to a big game hunters trophy.

Temps