PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Nigerian airlines to operate U.S. route
Old 29th Jul 2006, 15:15
GlobalFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arik's UK Destination

Originally Posted by Captain Indomie
Hi guys, I actually think this is an excellent development. However, I seriously hope Arik air is given some sensible airport - a small airport at outside London. We all know that if the airline will not operate to a London airport with enough traffic then, It's the beginning of it's end. therefore, it will be interesting to know the airport the airline got.
I actually wonder why bellview hasn't been given an opportunity to operate to UK before now. Though we know Odukoya is a mad guy with a track record of cutting corners, but was Nigeria airways any better? The point is our government and the people of Nigeria never promote what is ours rather, what we see all the time is foreign operators being given free hands to do what they want. Moreover, I find out it's very easy for us to throw blames at our operators for cutting corners. The question is what happens to the regulatory body-NCAA who have consistently failed in their duties. They should in fact be ashamed of their existence as an organisation and as human beings.
Well it can't be that difficult to guess which airport it shall be...it's either London Stansted or London Luton, I believe both are within 40-50 minutes drive from central London. They are also both well equipped especially Stansted which also attracts some limited long haul traffic.

If Arik's long haul business plan relies on connecting traffic in the UK, then Stansted or Luton won't be profitable, but if it's aim is to attract passengers terminating their journey in the UK, than these airports are not bad at all.
I think it's a clever move by the government to facilitate another Nigerian airline on the UK route, without breaching its exclusivity agreement with VK on the London route (although Stansted and Luton are also in a way London!!).