PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific - Strike imminent!
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2001, 12:47
Underdog

Cool

Just my tuppence worth.

I fully support any industrial action that people feel they need to take to get what they deserve.

However, I take exception to slagging of 'beancounters' in general. My next-door neighbour is an accountant (how would you like to be called a driver?) and a thoroughly nice bloke he is too. Most mistrust is generated from lack of understanding - on both sides.

Accountants may see your salary as an expense without seeing the hidden assets that we all undoubtedly are. They never do get to see how good we are because the only time our 'brilliance' shines through - nothing happens, i.e. it doesn't make the newspapers because of our prompt actions etc. All that they, and the public in general, see are the f^ck ups we occassionally make - because they do make the headlines.

Likewise, we never get to see their great masterstrokes, because until we lose money their job is pretty transparent to us. I for one don't get off on manipulating figures and going to meetings - it would drive me nuts - hell my tax return is enough of a chore that I'm glad its only once a year. A bit of mutual respect for each others 'profession' would do wonders for everybodies interests.

That said, if you need to strike, as we may later in the year, bloody good luck to you. It's a sad state of affairs when it gets this far but that's mis-management not necessarily poor accounting. (Although it could be of course :-) )

ATB

Underdog