PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daks over Central London this evening.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 08:39
EGCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Stand 22.

It's good that they are still active, although a smaller fleet than in the "spraying" days. Is there still a "six" equipped for spraying if necessary?

Excuse me if I recall previous encounters with these aircraft, firstly 'RA or 'PY and a public flight in the early 90's to the Great Warbirds at West Malling, and at that airshow an appearance by the Short Sunderland that I think is now exiled in America. It flew off Southampton water for a brief time.

Secondly, back in the 1970's when Air Atlantique was but an ad-hoc freight charter company based in Jersey, and the owner was a friend of a friend who was involved with the flying club at the now closed Doncaster airfield near the racecourse.
Word came to me that 'AF was going to land at this small flying club strip, and I duly recorded the event on cine film. The strip was wet and muddy, and the roll-out on touchdown was minimal!
After fixing the undercarriage locks those of us there were given the "freedom to roam" inside 'AF, whilst the crew were on the phone in the clubhouse chasing up their next freight charter job!

I guess that was what it was like as a small charter co. back in those days.

Anyway, as I said, good to see three Daks still active, long may it continue.Thanks for the update.

(Pity we cannot see a Coventry based Shackleton flying again, but I suppose whilst ever they exist even if only in ground-running condition, there is hope!)

EGCA

Last edited by EGCA; 29th Jul 2006 at 08:56.