PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bmi (industrial action vote)
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 04:08
Caractacus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked as a pilot for Midland at Heathrow for a number of years. With out doubt the airline has a very odd company culture. Aside from the flying, I learned two things about life from working there. First, how to cut costs and second not to trust someone who smiles at you.

The airline has a black monkey sitting on its shoulder. You could cut the atmosphere in the Queens Building with a knife some mornings. This is the place where the Kegworth crew lived. I believe also the Trident Papa India pilots walked out from there.
I would suspect the very senior people in the company (whoever they are) are quite relaxed about the current industrial situation. They have no intention of allowing a strike and every intention of taking the situation to the wire when they will back down.
However, some of the pilots will be far from relaxed and some emotions will run very high. This company invented the term machiavelian. It knows just how to twist, maniplutate, connive and put people under huge pressure. They know the emotional handles to pull to get things done. QED the ploy of removing crewroom furniture. How humiliating can you get? My wife used to debrief me on the days flying. She could tell when the very senior person was adopting a hands on management style.

The oddest thing about Midland is that the culture is also very fickle. I had a family tragedy and, for an airline, they couldn't have been more helpful. When I most needed the pressure to be off it was.

My point is that the pilots can win this situation outright by ignoring the threats, staying calm and going to the wire. Maybe even stepping over it for a day.

I have worked for a number of airlines but Midland made it's mark on me and I was thoroughly glad to leave. However, I doubt you will find a more capable and sharp bunch of aviators in the business.

I wish everyone all the best in these trying times.