PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Barton today...
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2006, 02:15
theresalwaysone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EK4457
As it happens, both me and my instructor both decided that the most likely cause was a very late or lack of flair thus 'nose wheeling' it into the ground.
EK
Thats not really correct, the cause was the student failing to initiate an immeadiate go around after a large bounce,even you heard the noise in another a/c.
99% of all noswheel removals are caused like this, very few pilots fly an aircraft straight into the ground--- you generally always get one chance to recover-- this misunderstanding is caused generally by instructors not concentrating and teaching go arounds from the runway. In 10,000 hours of instruction i have sent many first solos who made just passable landings but their go arounds had to be first class before i stepped out and my parting shot was always if theres any doubt theres no doubt--GO AROUND.

I taught go arounds from the runway by bouncing the aircraft off the runway upto about 10 feet and then saying, 'you have control-recover-' they soon got it right and it became instinctive and i never had one landing incident with a student in 13 flying schools.

Remeber almost all accidents are a result of poor instruction somewhere along the line--pick wives and instructors very carefully!