PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attn: Swept Wing Transport Pilots
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2006, 23:07
AluminumDrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Swept Wing Transport Pilots

I just wanted to get some comments from some real pilots on an old trick we used to use as CFI's.

We all remember the "felt tip pen" trick used when we show students how to make a coordinated level turn at constant speed in a 152.

But... now i have a guy claiming to be a 747 Capt and that you can use the same trick in a swept wing aircraft.. dutch roll and all, to line up with a target (as in arrival, approach, through to landing) This man believes you can put a felt tip pen mark on your windshield in a transport category airliner and hit his mark every time.. no matter the maneuvering or change in airspeed involved. Here is his quote...

"You sit in the seat, hold the pen out straight in front of you and make a mark on the windscreen. When you bank the aeroplane left and right, all you do is keep that dot on the horizon and the plane will stay level.
But you can also use it to track objects ...
... for example, make the same dot and then manoeuver the plane so the dot is right over what you want to hit, and the plane will hit it, and very accurately."

I suppose this guy doesnt know about crab angles either... or changes in deck angle..

Now we all know the answer to the above quote is pretty much laughable, but i just wanted to get a nice thread of all the laughs for this poser. I hate internet posers.. dont you?