PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot English
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2006, 16:40
el @

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airborne_artist
Por favor puedo comer dos cervezas. Mi amigo pagará ellas.
Hi airborn_artist, listen to me here for a moment buddy.
Get a map, locate Spain. It's just on the left side of France, yes on the other side of the sea. Spain is where many British people like goes on vacations, they do bullfights, are you with me?

Well, they do speak 'Spanish' there. Sometime, (it doesn't matter if you won't remember that in the future), 'Spanish' is also called 'Castellano'. This word, think like a 'castle', is used to refer to the spanish language that is spoken in central and south-america, except Brazil. That would be everything south of what you probably call america.

Now, I hope you're still with me. Locate Italy on the map, it's on the opposite side, right and below France. I'm sure you know where France is. Now, they speak Italian there. It's easier to rememeber than the weird Spanish situation because Italian is officialy spoken in Italy only.

Now for the surprise point, Spanish and Italian are two different languages, albeit similar. What you uttered above is almost Spanish, but you do not 'comer' cerveza, being beer a liquid, you 'tomar' or 'beber'. These two words are synonimous.

I hope these two bits of language trivia can be helpful to your future attempts to be funny or get drunk in a foreign situation.