PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Persian/Arabian Gulf
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2006, 10:11
allwornout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could be worse

Originally Posted by Yarba
r44,
I#ve never been fired by anybody. I'm one of few pilots who left ADA of his own chosing. Tel me about good jobs and lifestyles in the Middle east if you're so knowledgeable about area? Wonderful housing and money with ADA!! Great money and beautiful maintain helicopters with Gulf . Beautiful treatment and lovely lifestyle as contract pilot with ARAMCO? Wonderful salary with Aerogulf? Lovely lifestyle in Kish? Perhaps you like being shot in Yemen? Yes the salary is very good if you want to fly in Baghdad, but I don't think a good lifestyle? If you are one of few lucky enough for Dubai Air Wing or Oman Royal Flight, okay maybe things are a bit better. So tell us about all the other good place with great salary and lifestyle?
You fellows should take Yarba's advice with a grain of salt. He sounds like a guy who always quits before they have a chance to fire his ass. ADA $100,000 a year if you do a couple of workovers, but maybe that's not enough tax free monrey for him. ADA has a pilot who has to take $3800 out of his own pocket to get an apartment downtown. Aerogulf pilots only make 16,000 D a month but they get a 100,000 Dirham apartment plus schooling, plus tickets for wife too......... lets add all that up and see what we get..... Gulf Heli has good accomodations and wives can come and get a job. $80,000 for the pilot and $40,000 for the wife, if she's a professional, and the school's paid for the kids... Aramco fulltime guys get a good house, good rotation and a ****load of greenbacks. Training guys about $150,000. I never got shot at in Yemen because I didn't fly within small arms range. Every time I go to a country where the pilots are getting hit, it's because they are flying on the deck. One would think that if you do, you are asking to get shot at, wouldn't one??? Dubai Air Wing lucky? First of all it's a Brit Navy old boy's club. Secondly, you're either first on call, second on call, or third on call. What about a day off??? And Kish is a good spot. It's got great beaches, jet skis, horse rentals, lots and lots of pretty ladies, modern malls, albeit they are small, any food you want, hookers for single guys, low prices on everything, and an easy job....and you can take your wife with you too..... compare that to 8 hours a day moving drills in the mountains on a long line and paying tax.....

Bottom line, you get whiners everywhere you go. The worst things about the Middle East are the heat, the lack of anything green, and that you can only buy real estate in selective little enclaves and have to pay $250,000 and up USD for an apartment. That makes this place a spot to come to for a few years, earn some tax free dollars, and get the hell out. Nobody comes here to retire. But to bad mouth the place to the guys who need some tax free dollars for a few years just doesn't sit right with me. Definately some deep seeded hatred there...