PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Wings of Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2006, 06:15
sani_abacha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a pilot or connected with the aviation industry, i was just browsing but felt so strongly i had to register and post a reply

some of you guys are so annoying, so ignorant and so stupid. A company of this stature advertises using free email account and you respond???? did you really have to ask what people thought? you must either be a dodgy character, a moron, very desperate or all of the above

A company has just spent $69 million acquiring 2 new planes, not to talk of the 2 used 737s, the other bombardier planes (Virgin Atlantic, if I recall started with only one plane) and the fact that they've spent over $10m to acquire landed properties of the defunct nigeria airways. There are numerous articles on reputable websites, numerous press releases regarding the airline including pictures of at least 2 of the planes. The company itself has a website. Does this sound like a cowboy outfit? Does it cost you anything to make an effort to check certain things. Money for job? fly you out without an interview? Goodness the free email (yahoo, hotmail) is a dead giveaway, how do people fall for such I don't understand. cmon even a six yr old would immediately realise that some scammers are trying to pull a fast one, but of course the ignorant idiot that you are, who cannot see anything good in Nigeria (but is willing to go there to make a living) and immediately casts aspertions on the intergrity of the company.

while I acknowledge some Nigerians give us a bad name, you guys must remmember a few things

1. Not every british man is a repressed gay, neither is every Arab a terrorist, nor every American brash and ignorant .....Not every foreigner in Nigeria is 2nd or 3rd rate and by the same token not every Nigerian is corrupt or a scam artist

2. While the scammers are a national embarassment, the so called Nigerian scammers can only scam someone who is greedy or himself dodgy (maybe he cannot survive in his country through normal channels or his career history is questionable?) or a crook, so in a way some of them deserve what they get. Besides I if Nigeria/Nigerians are so bad why do you want to go there?

3. I'm used to comments about nigeria/nigerians. but I won't stand a 3rd rate foreigner (i say that for not being intelligent enough to pick the obvious tell tale signs) or some dodgy character (and you must be for even being desperate enough to consider responding to such an advert) insulting my country.

4. As regards corruption, We were a peaceful and prosperous country before the Europeans came along and messed it up. laugh if you like but if you check the history of all the hotspots in the world (iraq, sudan, afghanistan, congo, liberia, who put Saddam in power? who put the Taliban in Power? who created and sustained Mobutu? etc etc) they are all legacies of the Europeans/ americans corruptly altering the political balance for their own selfish ends as they left. The corruption you see in Nigeria or Africa has a lot to do with a legacy of the colonialists. I'm not talking crap, do your research on Nigerian history there is a well publicised account of a former british diplomat in Nigeria where he accounts for brtish shenanigans in Nigeria just before independence ( I will look for it and post it). A lot of the people in power today are still the same crop of puppets that were around when the british left (thankfully they are dying one by one). A lot of the miscreants that populated the Nigerian Army and were responsible for the ploundering of the Nigerian state are the results of british machinations before they handed over power . but already the new school are taking root and eventually it will be contained. I'm not saying that makes it ok, i'm just saying, stop all this moral high ground, you guys are no better! You just have the advantage of years of independence , development and a cohesive as opposed to an artificial country like Nigeria!

With regard to the Nigerian pilot who posted saying there are loads of Nigerian pilots without jobs, this is my response: Quite honestly I would prefer a qualified Nigerian pilot flying me. I'm generally not impressed with the quality of foreigners I find in Nigeria in other fields whenever I visit. If the standards are the same, I'm sure any airline would most certainly rather pay in Naira than pay for a foreign pilot, so figure that out.

To the arik director who posted earlier: I thank you firstly for clearing the air before some ignorant foreigners turn a ray of light into a nigeria bashing exercise. Secondly this is the best thing i've seen in out of the Nigerian aviation industry since Virgin Nigeria, except this is really a Nigerian Airline - makes me proud to be a Nigerian. Please don't relent, maitain the standard you have set, I'm sick and tired of giving my money to British Airways and all the other foreign Airlines that treat us with contempt!

ps: the rant was not intended at the majority of you, just the 2 or so morons who pissed me off!!.

Last edited by sani_abacha; 28th Jul 2006 at 06:45.