PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting a job in Canada
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2006, 13:48
GreatCircle

Location: A normal Northern Land, with Uncle Sam's anarchy to the south...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as filing immigration papers for Canada in the UK is concerned...forget it. Total waste of time. You'd probably get the Dear John letter. I've heard that many times.

Get the job offer, have a reputable lawyer who knows the system and where to file to sort out the paperwork you'll need when you arrive - and as long as you're in the system, the restricted work permit is issued there and then. As soon as you're here, get into the process for an IMM 1000 - Permanent Residency - and remember the rules of residency too...if you're a driver and you fly out the country, these days don't count...Whole topic in itself.

Echoing everyone - there is a shortage, and not a shortage of drivers in the Great White North. In my outfit, more applicants than empty seats- always. WS might be an interesting one as their expansion is going through the roof, and as for Jazz, understand these guys even posted their advert on workopolis....www.workopolis.com (practically unheard of in the past).

Another thing to consider - many expats, despite their lifestyle, always look through dewy eyes at home - and wouldn't surprize me if resumes are flowing in by the dozen from that quarter.

In terms of cash and rewards, it's not as much as you would think in total, but the cost of living outside the main metro areas is very very low compared to Europe. Actually, living near a downtown as I do, it is still very affordable.

AC pay, without allowances, left hand seat - top of scale c. $175,000 Cdn I believe. Someone out there able to correct me on that ?