PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re: Base to Final Turn
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2006, 10:34
Vifferpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fournicator
Viffer:

Sorry mate, but I disagree with pretty much everything you've said.

I'd also question your motives for wanting to perform a RIAB.

I agree that a RIAB is not inherently dangerous, but prats who try to apply a procedure designed for high performance aircraft in a controlled circuit, to a low performance aircraft in an uncontrolled environment where other users are unfamiliar with it probably are pretty inconsiderate at least, if not dangerous.
I don't want to perform one m8, I was replying to someone elses point that's all. I was just pointing out that it isn't inherently dangerous and as you rightly point out, light aircraft cannot achive the relative excess speeds of the aircraft type it was primarliy designed for, so there is still plenty of time to become aware of other aircraft in the circuit. If people wish to use it, they should of course check with the airfield beforehand and if busy, adopt a more standard civil join if they have been taught such. The chief reason for a RIAB is the minimal time disruption to other circuit traffic as it is (usually) a fairly rapid way of joining and landing. Circuit traffic need only carry on with their normal procedures as it is the joining traffic responsibility to avoid disruption to them.

I agree that a RIAB is not inherently dangerous, but prats who try to apply a procedure designed for high performance aircraft in a controlled circuit, to a low performance aircraft in an uncontrolled environment where other users are unfamiliar with it probably are pretty inconsiderate at least, if not dangerous.
Prats is a bit harsh m8.

When visiting another airfield you should conform to their procedures and circuit patterns.
And if the student in question (whether civil or miltary) has not been taught the others version of a circuit, then are you suggesting they should fly a procedure they have not been taught? We get civil aircraft joining here regularly, completing 'civil' circuits amidst a packed visual and instrument pattern of 'military' circuits, with little or no problem, because all pilots are taught to be flexible, lookout, listenout and minimise radio traffic (whilst similarly getting yr message across).