PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inflation now 4% !!!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2006, 05:02
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that statistic while looking at the Sandringham Flying boat in the MOTAT museum in Auckland...interesting innit

I guess that is why most people travelled in ships.

The QF FO wages comparison I used because those are numbers I can find out by simply asking my father.

The overall comparison is the same...look at what houses cost across the spectrum 36 years ago and compare that to what people earned across the spectrum and it is clear that wages have lagged seriously behind real inflation.

If you apply 3% average inflation to that 1970 QF FO wage you get pretty close to a current QF FO wage. You cannot do the same with the house or the Bonanza...actually it works bloody close with the original 1970 Bonanza but not the federation house....and certainly not the new Bonanza.

Or put another way that FO wage is now roughly 4 times what it was in 1970 while that house price is now roughly 75 times what it was in 1970.

I very much doubt the numbers would be all that different comparing the average wage in Australia to the average house price in Australia over that same period.