PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2006, 01:45
Mr. Bloggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Chain

Training dept is fine, it is the checking department. Being American, expect low scores for your RT even if you have a degree in linguistics.

“very "old-world, stiff upper lip" British military style” that is one way of putting it. Depends on which fleet you are on. The 747-400 is the intolerable fleet for F/O’s. Numerous A**hole Capt’s on that fleet. Mostly checkers. I guess I will hear from them. Know of some F/O’s that went head on with a Senior Checker and now not suitable for command.

Remember it is a Captain’s Airline.

“Under the microscope all the time” If you join as an S/O, you will be jumping through hoops for the next 10-15 or so years (S/O, Junior F/O, F/O, Senior F/O, Capt). At any time you could be held back because of something on a Check or in the Sim. Do something wrong in the Sim (while not even your Sim), it can be marked on your file. All files are reviewed by management before upgrade, anything they don’t like, you may/will be held back. Automatic progression is not guaranteed.

Yes you can be fired at anytime. Ask the 49ers. If you have problems in the Sim on an upgrade (S/O to J F/O or joining as an S/O), you will be asked to leave. If you say something wrong or speak your mind to the wrong person you can be targeted. Example: Flying Manager picked up a wine bottle and an F/O stopped him for swinging it. Scene ensued. The last words of the Flying Manager was “I’ll have your job” and he did.

Sit there, shut up and you will be fine. You must realise, Cathay invented flying. As long as you have that attitude, you will be OK.

Don’t speak your mind, it will be held against you when you upgrade, even if your flying file is fine

“I'm not a troublemaker nor do I get in people's faces and I'm certainly used to the American way of doing things, if someone asked me for my views I'll explain them and back them up. I'm also not a kiss-up, stroke-your-ego, I'll do whatever you want sir, especially when I know it's all an ego/personality thing.”
Like I said, the 744 is the most dissatisfactory fleet followed by the Airbus. Not sure about the 777. Don’t think new joiner join on that fleet.

I am sure others have different views but the culture is, shut up, do your job. Don’t voice your opinion when at work and to whom when not at work (if you are based in Hong Kong).

Like I said, it’s a Capt’s airline. Captain’s will always receive higher marks in the Sim and on Checks than the F/O. It’s just that way.

It depends on which pair of glasses you look through and I am sure you will get different opinions. If you are on the old A Scale and get paid very well with all the benefits and a good provident fund, you will have good things to say, same if you came from a C172 and now flying a wide body.

Industrial fear is a well established at Cathay.

Oh yes, we are just in the process of cutting your pay.

Just know where you are on the food chain and you will be fine.