PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Barton today...
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2006, 01:33
EK4457

Location: A place where something is or could be located; a site.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incident at Barton today...

Today (26th) at around 1600 (L) a Grob belonging to a resident Areo Club at Barton was involved in a 'bump' whilst landing.

I was about to start up my Tommohawk at the fuel pump when there was a large 'thump' behind us. Both me and my instructor turned to see that the Grob had ballooned up after initial contact with a dry and dusty 27L and was coming back down with an accute nose down attitude. The a/c then hit the grass to the left of the runway, nose first, and ballooned again. This happened another two or three times, each time getting closer to the tower and other parked aircraft to the left of the runway.

The a/c came to a stop about halfway down the runway and about 5 meters to the left of it, resting on its main gear and propeller with its tail in the air.

The Barton rescue vehiecle was there within seconds of the strange siren being activated by the tower. The fire brigade were there a few moments later and an ambulance and police after another ten.

The pilot, who I believe was a solo student, was visibly shaken but managed to walk away.

From what I could see, the nose wheel had snapped off, the prop was bent and the whole front fuselage was contorted and bent.

What was really strange about the incident was that the airfield was opened again within 15 minutes, using the same runway.

Accelerating down a runway and taking off with a crash scene and the associated emergency sevices a few meteres to the left is certainly quite sobering and, if any were needed, a dramatic reminder that aviation demands caution and respect.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is to get it off my chest and get the views of some fellow aviators. You guys are the first I've told as my girlfreind and family would never let my fly again if they knew that crashes really do happen!

Stay safe.

EK