PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON
Thread: MANSTON
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 22:25
Barnaby the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in a cave in the South and have commented on Lydd's, Manstons and Southends thread (amongst others) and have no real links to any (except relatives in Southend). To be honest a have to agree that Southend has the better prospects in terms of catchment and location relative to London than the others.
Location, location, location.
Lydd, I think most will agree would need millions upon millions to have a suitable infrastructure. Even then the catchment is too sparse.But they have had the right sort of investment to date.
Southend is mainly suffering from a lack of investment ( Apparently about to change).
As for MANSTON. They have the best runway, a modern, yet modest terminal and modern freight transfer facilities.
I don't believe Infratil would have taken on a manston without doing their homework. With the right market research, and subsequent marketing. I am sure there will be a demand for certain routes with pax.
I suspect that a cargo center would be a more appropriate use for the airport as the main.
I sincerely hope that all 3 find their niche in the market. They are providing employment and training.
I would hate to see any of them become a Wimpy homes estate, and lost forever.

Just my little input.