PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM AIRPORT - 2
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 21:20
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onion

The MME-BRS figures I quoted were taken from the CAA published route stats and as of course the Eastern service was the only one on the route the totals must relate to them (all the pax shown were in the scheduled column- there were no charters).

I have no knowledge about a Filton-Teesside service and am interested to learn that there was one in the past.

In fact, around 1996 Bae wanted to turn Filton into a city airport, There were many objectors including, unsurprisingly BRS, and a public enquiry was held. Following this the relevant government minister (Selwyn Gummer) turned down the application.

It is a source of regret to many that the city council did not opt for Filton instead of Lulsgate when they moved from the old Whitchurch airport in the mid 1950s. They could have done so but would have been tenants of the aeroplance company. Filton has so many physical attributes that Lulsgate doesn't have.

My knowledge of the Northeast market is practically non-existent so again I am interested to read your take on the likely scenario of a MME-BRU service.

Sabena and now SNBrussels have operated BRS-BRU for many years (most of the year it is a 3 times a day 146/ARJ route with a token weekend service).

Average monthly loads are rarely much above 50%, sometimes less, and one does wonder how profitable it is. As the Belgian carrier keeps persisting with it one must assume they are satisfied.

I shall watch any developments on a MME-BRU service with great interest.