PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 21:19
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to the market, buy a big button and sew it to your lip for the duration of training. Remove only to say "OIC" at intervals. Read up the detail of every training trip beforehand. Everything you do will be minutely recorded. The final line check consists of four sectors unless you've made a little boo-boo sometime in the sim in which case you will do two final line checks.
If you make it to final line check, don't expect a pat on the shoulder with "OK, that'll do; now let's go and have a chat." The Star Chamber will then analyse your training record and THEY decide if you've passed or not.
Watch what you say in the company bar at Cathay City. CX managers are accustomed to a non union environment and do not take kindly to adverse comment. Do not ever throw a handful of peanuts at one.
At times the company has an unfortunate ethos and I know of some perfectly capable pilots who have left doubting their own ability to fly.

Having said all that, CX have some good, caring trainers and, If your face fits, you will be given extra sectors to learn to do it exactly 'The Cathay Way'.
They were a good career airline and top quality outfit who demand high operational standards.

Don't let me put you off - Have a go!

btw I believe they used to ask about light signals in the interview questionnaire (computer, Ballard, must answer before next Q) could be out of date on that.