PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground staff
Thread: Ground staff
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 10:56
Holryn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkinm
Hi all,
I was wondering what the chap, who is connected to the front of the aircraft while being pushed back, is doing? He seems to be wearing a pair of head phones with a mic attached to it.
Is he in direct communication with the pilot? If he is, what are the talking about? (not about the last episode of Eastenders I presume!)
Thanks.
Paul,
Firstly, hello from another, albeit former, Chigwellian!
I worked at London City as a Ground Services Agent and part of our duties included the 'start-up' of the aircraft. We stand at the nose of the aircraft and talk to the flight deck. We have a brief to tell the crew that all the hold doors are closed and secured. The crew then ask to start the engines, if the area around the aircraft is clear then we give 'clearance' for the relevant engine to be started.
Once all engines have been started the flight deck request us to remove chocks/0disconnect ground power and clear the equipment from aircraft.
The procedure at LCY is different to most major airports as the aircraft are not pushed back.
If you're interested in seeing this in action take a look at some of the ITVV flight deck videos. One in particular is the Debonair 146 Luton to Rome and shows the headset start quite nicely.
H