PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The scene is set - incl Low Flying rules and Is there a 'cultural divide'?
Old 26th Jul 2006, 10:10
FlightOops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attitude

I have to agree with TOT on this issue.

Regardless of questions of legality relating to his landing and the proximity of vehicles, suitability of site etc (this is a separate issue and if rules are broken action should be taken), my feeling is that the primary point here is IMAGE.

We have all come across pilots propping up a bar tellling you how wonderful they are - that's just human nature and sadly the type of people drawn to flying seem to represent a high proportion of these tossers, however:

Our overriding concern should be to the image we create as pilots and we should always try to operate in a neighbour-friendly fashion to minimise the amount of flak that we will receive.

How many times have you worked on a airfield and the biggest moaner is the guy who lives by the runway threshold. It is hard enough to pacify someone whose life is surrounded by aviation and has grown "used" to normal aviation practice, without trying to create an impression of professionalism and safety to non-aviation related parties by cavalier acts of show.

This incident only throws fuel on the fire - I can't believe the pilot was SO thirsty that this was his only option - more likely it was an attempt to demonstrate the chord-length of his genitalia and only enhances the impression of pilots being up their own backsides.

Just read the thread regarding the village in uproar over a private owner keeping his helicopter on his property.

With such restrictive legislation in our industry, we should be making every effort to limit further regulation by operating considerately. Incidents such as this by the limited "few", spoil the overall environment for the "many" and as such we shouldn't perpetuate the process.

Flying into pubs / restaurants etc is fun and we shouldn't restrict this. That is one reason why people take their PPL's. However, a well coordinated, considerately planned and thoughtful arrival will demonstrate good airmanship, portray an image of professionalism and safety and enhance our reputation not diminsh it.

I think that the pilot in question should be made aware of the impression they are creating in the hope they will learn some humility and see how it looks from the outside.

As a final point, those statements about "prats", "pussycats" etc, just demonstrate your ineptitude (look it up as I doubt you have the intellect to know its meaning !).

Its to$$ers like you that ruin it for the rest of us - nobody is impressed by your faux-bravado and it seems the only person blissfully unaware of what a prick you sound like, is you. It is NOT big and NOT clever.

Parre ... reposte.

FO