PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Jetstar International
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2006, 06:39
Pass-A-Frozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard Hughes
This practice of adding a $30 fuel levy in the 'taxes' is ludicrous, surely the cost of fuel is part of the actual cost of travel! I don't even think the government taxes should be added in seperately, companies should only be able to advertise the 'fly away' or 'final' price.
Totally agree HH. Your local shop isn't allowed to put a label (correct me if I'm wrong) on the shelf advertising a product with a price that doesn't include GST, so why should airlines (or car dealerships for that matter) be able to advertise $169 *plus taxes, fuel levy, food costs, pillows

What's next? Free flights to Bali!Plus entry cover charge of $100, cost of seat (compulsory) of $60, cost of seat belt (compulsory) $9

If you have to pay it, it should be in the price. If it's optional, list it as optional. So Food, pillows etc - I have no problem with the extra charge. "Fuel" , "Taxes" and other crap you can't choose, should be included in the price. Free markets only work when the consumer is given all the right info. It's NOT right to keep letting first time consumers of an airline seat (Joe and Mary from Mt. Druitt "Wow, we can finally afford to go on an airplane for a holiday" (little do they know that the price they saw on the advertising board is not what they have to pay)) find out after making the decision to travel that the final price will actually be 20-30% more than what they thought!