PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Epaulettes
Thread: Epaulettes
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2006, 21:14
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loewy,

Presuming your post was a serious one:

Congratulations and welcome to the community! Gaining your PPL is absolutely an achievement to be proud of and to be celebrated. You've put a lot of money, time, and emotional investment into it and the day finally arrives when your license comes in the post! You've got every justification for wanting people to know what you've achieved.

But (there's always a but, isn't there?), if you're a PPL and just flying as a hobby, can I suggest finding another way to display your achievement? Maybe something less conspicuous like a PPL lapel pin or something like that?

Wearing epaulettes will make you a target of merciless harassment and derision; not only from the non-pilots in your life but especially from your flying peers. Wearing of epaulettes by formal flying schools, like Cabair, is seen in the PPL community as a bit poncy but understandable as they're training future airline pilots and want to start them out on a professional track. But you'll get no slack from other PPLs if you wear epaulettes just to go and rent out the club PA28 and, in fact, they may think you a bit of a tw*t. It's just not done. I'm just trying to save you some agro here but feel free to wear them if you really want to.

As to what they mean, there is no "standard" as they are very much a company thing. BA uses silver (they'd have you believe it's Platinum ), 4 bars for Capt, 3 for Sr 1st Officer, 2 for 1st Officer. Virgin use gold for, I think, similar rankings. The meaning varies completely depending on what any one company wants it to mean.

Enjoy your PPL!

Pitts2112