PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 South Africa questions from a UK PPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2001, 07:06
aerostar2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish

Guys you are very helpful. I've got myself in a pickle re two flying clubs which was all my fault. Can't help but have messed one of them around and they've both been first rate.

Went to a business dinner this evening and as chance would have it sat next to a corporate finance guy who moved last month from J'burg to London. Also interviewed two people in the last month, both heavyweight company directors, one just out of Mozambique, the other from SA.

From all three the sense was not positive (perhaps I should say nervous) about the medium term future for South Africa. The Mozambique guy (who ran a hotel chain there) told me that all the middle class professionals exiting from that country were coming to the UK, rather than South Africa, and the others said there was a big exodus (300,000 in the last year, said one of them) to the UK.

The guy I sat next to tonight said that out of SA's 43m population, 5m were working legitimately and another 5m outside the tax system, which puts an enormous burden on state funding.

I also gathered that strong platinum and weak oil prices were helping the SA economy in the short term.

What do you think?

Garry