PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 25th Jul 2006, 15:21
Woof etc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking the right questions though (even if a bit timidly. )

Too many pilots get into the flying business with no real understanding of what the life of an airline pilot is really like. I'm not one myself yet, but having a number of friends that are, I have a much better insight into what the lifestyle is like than I did when I started out.

In the beginning its all about getting the licences, ratings, getting twin time, turbine time, jet time etc. etc, which is all challenging and exciting. Once you're in the airline its a day to day routine, and unless you want to lose your seniority you're probably going to be there for a while. Then its going to be the lifestyle that's all important. Check out what the experienced jocks are discussing on the other forums - it's all about T and Cs, rosters, basings, pay etc. etc. Not how cool it is driving a big alumumium tube around the sky.

If you want to decide if flying as a career is for you, you need to judge it based on the ultimate lifestyle, once you have reached the airline, or whatever type of flying it is you want to do. Not on how crazy you are about aeroplanes, how you enjoy flying a C172, or how you enjoy the mental challenge of studying for the exams.