PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Baggage Allowance Cuts
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2006, 13:51
Terry K Rumble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the original letter that i wrote to BA over a month ago now.

Mr W Walsh
Chief Executive
British Airways PLC
Waterside
PO Box 365
Harmonsworth
Middlesex UB70 0GB 15 June 2006

Dear Sir,

I am writing to express my extreme annoyance and disappointment with British Airways.

On April 19 this year, I booked and paid for 2 return tickets to PhoenixArizona, USA. The booking ref is YQJDTP. My departure date is 5 Nov 06 on BA289 and my return date is 23 Nov 06 on BA288.

At the time of my booking, your staff advised me that my baggage allowance would be 2 pieces not more that 32 kgs each. One of the major reasons why I insist on flying British Airways, is that I know I can take all of my own personal flying equipment etc with me, safe in the knowledge that I don’t have to worry about baggage allowance because your allowance is better than other airlines.

Yesterday however, I received an e mail from Jayne O’Brien stating that with effect from 11 Oct 06, you would be changing your baggage allowance to 23 kgs per piece.

Despite leaving messages for Ms O’Brien and her secretary to call, as well as leaving e-mails on your web site, I must tell you that neither of them has called me. I did finally manage to get through to a lady called Rosalie yesterday, who advised me that you had the right to change the baggage allowance whenever you choose, and there was nothing that could be done about it. In very simple terms ‘tough’

This is a quite appalling way to treat people Sir, and I am shocked that a company of the prestige of British Airways is prepared to treat its customers in that way.
When you sent me my E-Ticket confirmation of this booking you also sent me your ‘conditions of contract’. On page 2 of that contract, it advised me what my baggage allowance was. In my humble opinion, I believe that you are now breaching that contract. Surely you must agree that you have, at the very least, a moral responsibility to honour the conditions of tickets when they were purchased? If not, do you not feel honour bound to offer a refund on the tickets or a discount of some sort? You are British Airways after all, and I should have thought that you could have at least offered those of us affected something in return for this cut in our allowance?

I have always been a staunch supporter of British Airways all my life, and have been responsible for many people flying with you over the years. I have remained loyal to your company, despite your costs often being higher than other carriers, and I have always argued with my superiors that British Airways are second to none, citing your generous baggage allowance as one example why we should fly with you. However, I do genuinely feel aggrieved by this decision.

Sadly, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to remain loyal to you any more, particularly in light of this recent decision, and I am ashamed at the way you are treating me and no doubt countless others. Shame on you Sir.

I regret that, unless a satisfactory solution to this immediate problem of baggage for my trip to Phoenix can be accomplished, then I can assure you that I will NEVER fly British Airways again, and I will seek legal advice over this question of Breach of Contract.

I look forward to your earliest reply.

Here is the one I have sent today, following conversations with DofT and HSE:

Dear Sir,

Further to my letter dated 15 June, on Friday last week (21 July 06) I received a phone call from one of your Executive Assistants namely Kamlesh, who tried, in vain, to explain the reasons why you have reduced your baggage allowance from 32 kgs per piece to 23 kgs per piece.

She cited UK Department of Trade ‘rulings’ and other ‘legislation’ that was forcing you into introducing this reduction in baggage allowance, and thus bring you into line with other major operators. She was quite vociferous in arguing that this decision was not of your own making, and that you were being ‘forced’ into reducing baggage allowance.

She pointed out that, as there was nothing you could do about it, there was nothing to resolve. Despite requesting a refund or a reduction in the costs of the tickets, or an upgrade, she claimed that there was absolutely nothing whatsoever that she or British Airways could do about it. In very simple terms ‘sorry, but tough Mr Rumble’

I have today spoken with the Department of Trade and Industry at length over this matter. They have given me an assurance that they have had nothing to do with this whatsoever, and have introduced nothing of the sort. Indeed, they categorically denied being involved in any way with the amount of weight that any employee can carry, or the amount of baggage allowance given by an airline operator, stating that if anything, it would be a health and safety matter.

I have also spoken to the Health and Safety Executive today about the very same matter. They too completely deny any involvement whatsoever and even quoted to me the ‘manual handling operation regulations’ paper dated 1992, which states that the maximum advised limit is actually 32kgs, and NOT 23 kgs as your assistant seems to believe.

Clearly your assistant appears to be mistaken as to her explanation for the reasons behind your reduction in baggage allowance is concerned, or has perhaps been misinformed by someone within British Airways. Either way, these regulations have NOT been imposed by either the UK DOT or the UK HSE.

In light of these ‘errors’ by your executive staff, might I respectfully ask you Sir to reconsider your decision for those of us who have already purchased tickets from you in good faith, and who travel after the 11th October? It is, without doubt, the only honourable thing to do, and would go a long way to restoring faith amongst your regular and loyal passengers.

I very much look forward to hearing from you.

I will keep you all info'd on the reply!
best regards
TKR