PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 2
Thread: BRISTOL - 2
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2006, 18:30
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be a great shame if this route is axed. I have spoken to several people who have used it, including my son who has flown it half a dozen times this year, and they all speak highly of it, especially the convenience and the avoidance of the LHR hassle.

The route did quite comfortably exceed the initial 12-month passenger target of the airline but compared to other CO routes from the UK to EWR, notably BFS that started at the same time, monthly load factors seem lower for much of the time, although not in every month (CAA stats).

According to the Belfast Telegraph, around 40% of those using the BFS-EWR link are US-based whereas it is well documented that the BRS-EWR link is predominantly used by UK-based residents – the airport MD mentions this in the minutes of the latest consultative committee minutes on the airport’s own website.

I suspect that if BRS could achieve a 40% American loading the route would be extremely profitable.

The airport and airline have tried many initiatives to try to get US residents to use the BRS gateway. Bristol is not well-known in the USA, despite historical links, and those Americans who might look at the route would see that Bristol is only around one hundred miles from London and, thinking in American distances, might well believe it to be a small airport on the edge of Greater London, so why use it if the much larger Heathrow and Gatwick are available?

Let’s hope the situation is not as dire as one or two on this MB might be suggesting.

Even if more Americans can’t be tempted there is a vast number of local people who, for various reasons, still use the London airports for their transatlantic travel. Perhaps some of these would be easier to persuade.

Tom,

It's a thought but the problem might then be reversed - too many pax!

We never did get that easyJet route from BRS to ORK, and now I believe the Orange Machine is deserting ORK altogether.