PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - heavy-handed and humiliating searches - Muslims complain
Old 24th Jul 2006, 15:55
Tartan Giant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heavy-handed and humiliating searches - Muslims complain

I dare say we have some UK Muslim pilots (?) who suffer the same humiliations - not to mention Christian pilots who are often complaining about these "humiliating" searches - every day Mr Maan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/5208082.stm

Muslims 'boycott' Glasgow Airport

Muslim business travellers are boycotting the airport

Muslim business travellers are boycotting Glasgow Airport, according to a leading Scottish figure.
Bashir Maan, from the Muslim Council of Great Britan, complained of heavy-handed and humiliating searches by anti-terrorist police officers.

Dozens of executives have said they are no longer prepared to fly from Scotland and are using Manchester instead. [do they not get stopped there then? ]

Strathclyde Police said it was looking at training to raise awareness of cultural and religious sensitivities.

Mr Maan said: "I'd never experienced anything like that before in Scotland. This was a show of sheer discrimination, victimisation of certain sections of the community in Scotland."

Glasgow businessman Mohammed ashraf said it was "undignified" to be stopped and questioned. "After being through all the checks that normal people go through, at the last moment you are stopped again and asked questions as everybody else passes you by," he said.

Ahmed Tassi, a Lebanese nurse working in Glasgow, said his wife was frequently targeted. Their concerns have been acknowledged and we have pledged to work with the community to address these issues

"She is a Canadian. She is more of an English speaker than me but she happens to be Muslim and covers her hair. 90% of occasions when we pass through they say 'step aside' and she gets the full search. I am always waiting half an hour or an hour for her."

A Strathclyde Police spokesperson said: "We have had a meeting with representatives from the Muslim community. Their concerns have been acknowledged and we have pledged to work with the community to address these issues. We are looking at further training of our officers, particularly at airports to raise awareness of cultural and religious sensitivities."
I take it this police intervention will not stop proper and authorised PAX searches

TG