PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Learned About Flying From That (ILAFFT)
Old 24th Jul 2006, 12:20
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half flying, half ground... but maybe it'll suffice for this thread.

Was out doing a compass swing with one of our maintenance officers and the company commander... the whole process involves parking the ole salamander along a given cardinal direction provided courtesy the compass reading from a mechanic standing 25 feet out on the nose with a lensatic, then adjust the slaved compass in the cockpit until it matches. Naturally the spot we picked to do it had a bit of reinforcing bar weaved into the concrete, or maybe some WWII bomb fragments or maybe a damn zero fighter buried under there, and my readings are fickle and unreliable. I move out farther from the nose and the readings are getting better, and continue pushing out further until my ICS cable is maxed out but the readings are workable. I tell the ole Major to nose right, he says the tail wheel feels stuck. I walk out to the left (my right) and take a peek, its cocked a bit so I tell him to put some stank into that pedal and get it to swing round.

I think there was a verse in the theory of relativity and motion that states "when one object is out to the maximum of his ICS cable length, opposite side of his ICS cable connection to aircraft, and aircraft rapidy yaws away, an object at rest will begin to move and continue to move until object hits ground". Thankfully neither saw it. I just told them I was going to ground to get a better alignment on aircraft center. They bought it.

-Mike