PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training - Taildragger Vs Tri gear
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2006, 00:08
captainflash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragger Differences

I just finished my differences trainning down in Clacton last week and found it marvelous fun.

As a low houred PPL with previous powered experienced limited to trikes I'd have to say that the take-off and landings are quite different. Particularly two areas.

Directional Control - During the take off roll once the tail is lifted and the landing run. Both require more rudder input then trikes.

V Speeds - The landing speed is critical for the perfect three point landing. Although I stick to the speeds in trikes, I am aware they are more forgiving. Try landing 5knots + or - in the taildragger and the effects will be felt more.

I don't claim to be an expert - as per experience - however I do feel that the tail dragger makes you fly the aircraft off the ground as opposed to jumping into it in the trike. Conversly the landing truely is not finished at touchdown ...rather when the aircraft is parked in the hangar!

I think my conversion wasn't a shock because I have taken many aerotow lauches in gliders. The skills for a taildragger t/o and landing are extremely close to those deployed during the aerotow. My gliding experience made it easier then the powered ppl trike teaching.

Just the views of a newbie guys.