PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA or Virgin? Which is better?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 22:47
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the 777, five trips a month is about the norm. Six is certainly a realistic possiblity. Rest assured (sic), you will be knackered.

Most of the 777s do not have bunks fitted for long-range work. Sixteen (the ERs) do, although it's a bit of a lash up at the back of First class. It is possible to get a reasonable kip though. Six of these jets will be fitted with the proper overhead rest area at some point. (I'll believe it when I see it. )

To further Mr Ripley's comments (horses for courses though, I suppose):

Never done 6 trips a month.

Fair comment. As already mentioned, five is about the norm although six is a possibility.

Only been back to back on reserve.

Lucky. As a junior pilot, you'll probably be a Blind Line Holder (rostered) so you cannot be forced to "back-to-back". As a Trip Line Holder, you may need to bid for it to make CAP.

Most 777 trips are about +/-5 hr time change if not less (Middle East).

This is changing markedly. Keep in mind how much fuel costs and how little a 777 burns compared to a -400. The 777 will be operating the SIN/SYD service by the end of the year and is planned to operate the BKK/SYD and the SIN service in due course. Don't rule out a return to South America either.

Not so many long slips on the 777.

Ditto.

I guess life is different on the 744.

At the moment. The more long-range trips on the 777, the fewer long-range trips on the -400.

Oh and not many early starts either.

Also changing.

Last 2 months of full flying (and only 2 months of full flying this year) I achieved 14 clear days at home and 18 nights at home each month.

About normal.

I like it.

Good.

Pension is still rubbish though.

Couldn't agree more.