PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cheeky commuter question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 19:39
wiggy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
jetlagslag

As the BAA website indicates, National Express run a fairly frequent service between LHR/LGW, roughly every 15 -30 minutes during daylight hours but minimal late at night.
From LHR T1 head for the Central Bus Station ( about 10 minutes walk). Buy your ticket at the ticket office (the drivers do not sell tickets on board - don't even ask!). A single ticket LHR/LGW is around 18 STG. The Buses usually go from Central Bus Station via LHR T4 to LGW, in theory taking around at least 1 hr 15 to get from the LHR bus station to LGW. However at this point I must issue the a "health" warning: the whole process can become very protracted, especially in Summer.
You often have a long wait for tickets ( 20 min plus is not uncommon), you may not get on the first bus to arrive due to a backlog of pax and the M25 can be a crawl. Do not cut the timings too fine. FWIW BA reckon on a 3 hours minimum connection time ( from time of Flight Arrival to time of Flight Departure) between the two airports and from personal experience I reckon that's the absolute bare minimum ( and incredibly stressful for those involved) I generally try and allow 4 hours. As an aside do not expect startling customer service from National Express, some of the employees do try, but sadly a lot of the drivers are to stressed to use "please" and "thankyou"....don't expect the services to run to schedule and do expect boarding to be a bunfight........

Alternatively you can tube/Heathrow Express into London and then come out again by train to LGW, unlikely to be quicker or cheaper but an option.

Finally if all else fails and you are really running tight but have to make a connection (e.g. flight, report time ) a Taxi from LHR to LGW is about 80 STG and takes about 40 - 45 minutes minimum, all depending on the state of the M25 ( If you're considering this option I can PM you the phone numbers of a couple of the "chauffer" driven car outfits who operate the route) .

See you on the bus

Last edited by wiggy; 23rd Jul 2006 at 05:36.