PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Irish invite US pilots to work in Europe...
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 17:13
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
haughtney1, would you ever consider that there are airlines that pay salaries far above the market rate?
Jolly by definition..to get a median..you require upper and lower limits..so yeah I would. However thats my point..the markets sets the level, how can agencies and contract employers then whinge about the outcome? after all they tend to be first ones to benefit when an oversupply exists.

And going on from that, if there are JAR crews who refuse to take JAR positions on offer are airlines then justified in looking abroad for crews of their CAA allows them?
Thats the 64 million $ question, I for one subscribe to the viewpoint that the levels that some airlines/agencies are prepared to and believe they can get away with paying, falls far short of what is competitive
There are more than a dozen examples that I can think of off the top of my head where agencies have tried to circumvent existing labour laws/agreements (and at least 7 of those were Irish agencies) to reduce costs, and increase their own profits...so there has to be a regulatory framework with checks and balances.
The specifics of this thread have been done to death, the issues however cannot be overstated....if agencies/airlines are allowed to influence the regulatory authorities unduly, then IMHO its the thin end of the wedge
The evidence would suggest that with the IAA..this is already the case.