PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 09:47
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrisbl,

My best on physics and maths was to O level (shows how old I am ) unless you are saying that an AS level is the equivilent of the old O level.
Maths I couldn't (and didn't) comment on.

In broad terms (as far as Physics goes) yes. The subject content is a bit different, depending on exam board, but these days you can get science GCSE without really understanding any algebra at all. That means you are into rote memorisation of all kinds of stuff in the ATPLs. Whilst that is certainly doable, it makes it a hard slog. Its hugely easier if you have a basic facility with geometry, algebra and arithmetic.

I have successfully taught students who were borderline inumerate to pass their ATPLs but make no mistake, its hard!

Don't believe any governmental bollocks about educational standards rising, modern GCSEs aren't a patch on O levels. Most of the kids I teach will not even attempt a calculation without a calculator, even if you arrange the numbers to be very easy (e.g. multiply or divide by 10, that kind of thing).

pb

(ps - although I do agree with you in that IF you have the correct education, most of the ATPLs are a piece of piss)