PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 21st Jul 2006, 22:34
chrisbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Pit Bull
A few observations.
If you struggle with Physics to AS level, you are going to have a struggle with the ATPL theory. If you are dropping physics now, all you are doing is postponing the need to understand it.
With all due respect I do not agree. My best on physics and maths was to O level (shows how old I am ) unless you are saying that an AS level is the equivilent of the old O level.The ATPL stuff is a piece of piss. There is a lot of it without a doubt, but it is not rocket science - thats what engineers do. They are the clever buggers. Piloting seems to be more of a systems technician job than anything else, perhaps systems operative is more correct. The technician needs to know more.

However employers are entitled to set any educational requiremnts they want for their employees. The ATPL is not the educatiional driver its employer requirements.

Someone commente on another thread how demotivating it was as a pilot to be paid less than some cabin crew. No mystery really. Cabin crew deal with the customer and make a difference as to peoples choices on their next trip. They earn the airlines money.

Look at it like this.

Airports - all airlines use the same airports
Aircraft - all use the same aircraft
Pilots - All with the same licences mostly invisible
Cabin Crew - the articulation of the airline - noticable difference across airlines.
In flight Service - variable depending on CC

Foreget being a pilot go for CC.