PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ Penetrations - A Plea!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2006, 12:26
TangoZulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have followed this thread with interest - in fact was discussing a related subject last night over a pint in the club bar after a local flight.
To start with - PPL/IMC/Night - about 170 hrs total - if this makes a difference to a particular viewpoint I am not sure, however just being open.
It strikes me that there is a lot of discussion about legalities etc - when in reality surely this comes down to airmanship - whilst it may be legal to fly through, or in a MATZ without talking to the controller - is it really sensible?
After all what is it called again - ah yes, a MATZ - what does the M stand for - therefore should we really be surprised if the military choose to use thier bit of airspace as shown on a map?
Ultimately the information is there on the map and in my personal opinion it is fairly shortsighted, maybe even selfish for someone to operate in the MATZ without talking to anyone - just because they can - after all the controller is more likely to help you in my experience than the opposite (particular experience of MATZ controllers at Brize, Benson and Yeovilton all being very helpful when called).
But just my view for what it may be worth

Edited for spelling as I cannot type!