PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go Around
Thread: Go Around
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2006, 11:38
Edinburgher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Go Around

From the start, I would just like to make it known that I'm not some journalist looking to make some sensationalist nonsense out of what I understand is a pretty routine event. However...

I was returning to Edinburgh last night on the late evening flight from Brussels, with BMI. Very enjoyable flight, despite a slight delay on departure due to air traffic restrictions. In the late stages of final approach (from the south-ish) the pilots elected to go around, due to the aircraft that landed before us failing to vacate the runway as promptly as expected.

Though a regular flyer, I am a bit nervous about the whole process, and this was my first go-around experience. I have to say it all seemed to be extremely professionally handled with first the cabin crew (there was only one as it was an Embraer 135 we were flying) informaing us as to what was happening and that the second approach and subsequent landing would take about 10 minutes. The pilot also provided more information once we were on the ground.

I know these events are not uncommon, but I was wondering as to who makes the go-round decision and at what stage - I assume it can be initiated by either the pilots or ATC? Also, despite it being a standard procedure, does it cause a lot of additional work for the pilots and ATC? Do you suddenly have to switch from approach controllers to departures and how does the new approach get sequenced to fit in with other approaching aircraft? I'm just interested to know, as finding out about the technicalities of commercial flying from this forum has helped to make me a lot less nervous about flying.

Thanks to the pilots and cabin crew on the flight who did an excellent job and were highly professional throughout.