PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ Penetrations - A Plea!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2006, 06:38
Fournicator

DFC:
What I said in no way disagrees with the description of a MATZ you provided, but you seem unable to understand that aircraft departing or approaching the airfield may do so at any number of different directions and heights, not just aligned with the runway in use, or i the radar cct. To separate yourself from this range of traffic you really shoudl set QFE.
As regards obstacle clearance, I'm well aware that you can legally be VMC on top. However, a layer of low level stratus that would be the typical scenario for you to still be inside the MATZ but VMC on top would not stop you from seeing obstacles - they'd stick out in front of you. If you are VMC/VFR, then simply looking ahead will sort out your terrian separation - just don't fly into any bloody clouds, which might have solid centres.
If you are VFR, regardless of whether you can see the surface or not, you can easily get separation from any obstacles simply by looking out of the window. Trust me, I do this for a living.
It is not dangerous for civil aircraft to transit a MATZ, to do so without advising ATC may well be.

Dublin"Pilot":
You really are quite irritating. To echo Dimensional, I am more than happy to back down when I see that my case is wrong, but why should I here? A whole load of very experienced professional aviators I work with consider our operations acceptable, why should I change my mind just because a couple of PPLs get offended and start throwing their teddies out of the pram? I have listened to your arguments, considered them, and I still disagree.
You also display a shocking understanding of the mil avaition mindset - we live in a working environment where we contantly take criticism, and use it productively to improve our flying.