PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ Penetrations - A Plea!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2006, 23:11
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fournicator
DFC:
You're missing the point - yes, the obstacles listed on your chart are listed AMSL, but you really really should be able to look out of the window (a shocking idea for many puddlejumpers I know) and avoid the big honking mast you can see visually.
No. You are (shockingly for a pilot) unaware that;

There is no requirement for me to be able to see the surface or any obstacles (which could be in cloud). I am still VFR and am using the QNH to ensure MSD from the unseen obstacles, terrain and built up areas.

Originally Posted by Fournicator
More shocking news - military aircraft inside a MATZ will be operating at a whole range of different heights, doing a whole range of different things, manoevring with relatively high energy in a range of different directions, horizontally and vertically, very different to a civil airfield - not just in the vis or radar ccts. It therefore behoves you to set QFE, so that other MATZ users can take whatever action necessary to avoid ruining your day.

The CAA say that - The purpose of the MATZ is to provide a volume of airspace within which increased protection may be given to aircraft
in the critical stages of circuit, approach and climb-out.

Seems that your using a MATZ for something that it is not intended.

Danger areas are required to be established when dangerous activities need to be segregated.

So either it is not dangerous or the RAF have a duty of care to complete such dangerous activities in segregated airspace aka danger areas.

If it is dangerous for a civil aircraft to transit a MATZ then perhaps you are not doing your job as well as you think!

I have gained one piece of knowledge from this discussion - Forget all that hardware on show at Farnborough. All one needs is a few puddlejumpers operating non-radio and the RAF have severe problems completing missions. Forget SAMs, puddlejumpers are the new weapon.

Regards,

DFC