PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recovering from a FLAT spin.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2006, 21:24
LD Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm generally inclined to agree with Blackshift's original post about getting the weight forward pronto.

Interesting post from Speed Twelve, however, since the principle there is clearly to re-establish a bog-standard (non-flat) spin before implementing the correct recovery. All very sensible really.

However, if we are talking about an unintentional flat spin in something like a PA-28 for example, I would start by saying a Flat spin is defined as "Rate of Yaw exceeding Rate of Roll in any attitude including inverted". Unintentional Flat spins are usually, (I accept not always), caused by an AFT CG.

Flat spins around the CG are considered impossible to recover from, therefore your primary task will be to move the CG forward and initiate or increase Rate of Roll so that it at least equals or exceeds the existing rate of Yaw.

I would suggest a suitable Recovery procedure is Power OFF, (since power tends to flatten a spin), move the CG forward, (seats, bags, POH, Extinguisher, lean forward), while applying PRO SPIN Aileron. I would tend to suggest Neutral on the rudder, because although the secondary effect of the rudder is to induce Roll, clearly one wishes to reduce the dominant yaw without necessarily impeding any roll being commanded by the ailerons.

When, (or if), Rate of Roll equals or exceeds Rate of Yaw, the spin is no longer considered "Flat" and you can then execute a standard spin recovery.

Thing is - if this were a test question - an FAA examiner can't really say any of this is particularly wrong, because INTENTIONAL flat spins are limited to very few aircraft types and the recovery procedure is pretty much as as above, (without considering how to change the CG).

UNINTENTIONAL flat spins, however, require you to be a "test pilot" because the aircraft almost certainly won't be certified for it, since being well outside the utility category is probably what got you into the situation in the first place! So I don't suppose there is a definitive answer. But if it were me, I'd start with the above and work from there.

I have heard of people rocking the aircraft, "pumping" the control column etc etc. Who knows what will work on your type of plane? One only hopes you figure something out in time. If you don't have a parachute, let's hope there's a lake nearby and you might be able to bale out!

Last edited by LD Max; 20th Jul 2006 at 22:47.