PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What price a human life?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2006, 14:28
A31J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..and the winner is...

Thanks to all those who filed a 'thought' in response to my $64,000 question.
In my experience in aeromed. flying (years) this one night perhaps more than any other, had me doing some pretty heavy risk-analysis type thinking, let alone philosophising about the '..value of a life..'
Interestingly, whilst there has been lots of comment about the issues involved, not too many have put their hand up and stated their own personal go, no-go position, given the information provided.
Before I detail just how the 'op' finished, let me state that at all times the flight could have been conducted within the 'law'. There was never any question of this. There is no pressure implied or felt by me to break the rules in this game.
Having said that, from the start it was always going to be a logistical and operational nightmare. From the outset, I couldn't help but picture all of those holes in the swiss cheese lining up just for me.
Let me also state that never in my own personal experience have I ever been asked to 'please explain' why a) a task couldn't be completed, i.e., a patient not reached/collected due to wx - it does happen..fog, low cloud, etc.., after deciding to head out for a look, or b) why a task was not accepted, i.e., decided not to lauch (rare) because of conditions.
There have been lots of valid points raised and suggestions made on this one, and in the heat of the moment, all of these considerations need to be weighed in the scales of good judgement.
As it turned out, I decided to go out for a 'look', regardless of the 'cost' of the op. Believing it was an exercise in futility notwithstanding, the fact was I didn't have anybody remotely qualified to offer an educated opinion of the cloud ceiling above my destination - and in my mind, this left a shred of possibility. It was always going to be an uncomfortable, unpleasant, l o n g shift, potentially ending up causing logistical headaches for the company the next day were we to end up at our capital city alternate - with or without the patient/s.
HOWEVER, after preparing the a/c for 'launch', the nurse and I at the airport waiting, the Doctor then arrived and shortly afterward, whilst we were still conversing about the issues of the op., received a phone call from the nurse caring for the patient. The 'emergency' had effectively 'passed', and whilst the doc was still keen to go, the now downgraded priority meant I was no longer prepared to go. The 'weight' had shifted, the goal posts moved.
What I would have been prepared to subject myself, the aircraft and the crew to for an 'emergency', I wasn't prepared to subject them to for anything less.
One for the scrapbook..
PS At last report, patient/s are doing well