PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short QT Intervel on ECG!!!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2006, 02:01
tex8vc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all!
I would like to thank all of you to provide me with all the possible information on “Shot QT Interval”. After you suggestions and bit of research on internet, I was encouraged to go for another ECG at public health system with my GP’s recommendation and results were normal with about similar readings! Where as CAA Doctor not only denied my Class 1 but also advised me to see Cardiologist as I might be having some serious heart problem!

After my resent ECG I took both the ECGs to the ECG technician for advice. The lady indicated very interesting point mentioned in my last ECG i.e “artifact present” and further explained that wearing metal ornaments sometimes alter ECG results. Due to “metal abrasion with body”, normal ECG shows, abnormal results by giving false observations/ analysis on normal readings such as, in my case indicating, Short QT interval on 328/339ms. Results were fine without any ornaments on body at 324/366ms.

Please note that CAA Doctor happily ignored the point that, Short QT is calculated when readings are (<300 ms) and appears to be inherited in an autosomal dominant pattern which can only be treated by Qinidine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_QT_syndrome and did not bother to think about why ECG indicating short QT interval at above reading with ‘artifact present’!

He also knew that my family medical history suggests, no heart ailments/ disorders on either side of family and I am surely not taking Qunidine!
Indeed, Short QT interval was a new term for me and the failure on CAA doctors part to explain the term mentioned on my ECG made me think, why should ECG be done by a doctor who is unable to explain ECG terms to the patient and pay for it?

Later, I went to see the doctor and I asked him, what does “Artifact Present” means and how did you ignore this in first ECG? He simply said, he did not notice above term in the ECG! He further argued, metal would never alter ECG results and advised me to do another ECG with him and said if this ECG shows abnormal results with ornaments on, he would refund my total fee. Again ECG was abnormal but without Short QT interval this time! But he did not keep his words to pay back and started to argue that because I am taking thyroxin, it might be reflecting in ECG!!!! I am not sure if thyroxin can fix short QT interval, at least research does not suggest so!

I feel sometimes we are taken for granted!? And at the end we end up paying for others
mistake. I have made a formal complain to CAA and waiting for them to write back! (well, that can be another surprise)!

I strongly suggest (as mentioned by others) please remove your rings, necklace, chain and any other metal object on your body, specially the one hanging on body! Otherwise be prepared for surprises!

Good Luck to all and thanks for your kind support!

p.s this thread should be clubbed with "Can metal alter ECG results". Thanks.