PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 43 Air School (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2006, 23:20
DawnTreader

Originally Posted by pineteam
Hi everybody
My name is Greg, I was born im Mauritius Island, and I am new member on this forum. I am 22 years old and I am a student in a french business school in Paris. after reflexion, I am more and more interested to become a airline pilot .
Welcome to the forum Greg.
I heard about 43 air school and read some positive comments . It seems to be a great school... But really expensive lol.
It is expensive. They are the biggest in the country and in Africa. Their approach to training is quite formal. They try to impose more than a shade of discipline. Think of it as a type of boarding school. Whether you would enjoy it there depends on you. If you learn quickly and don't mind a bit of discipline then it is the place for you.
I would like to ask you some questions :
-How can we integrate this school? By exams? Because my main problem is that my level in math is low...Will it be a problem?
They will ask to see your school results to get an idea of whether you will cope. I wouldn't say the academic level is as high as University, but there is a HUGE amount of information that you have to take in in a SHORT space of time. There are 8 separate commercial exams to write in only 1 week of exams. The school prepares you well for these, and standards are set HIGH in the regular tests so as to ensure you do your best in the finals. The PPL exams are written on computers at the base. If you don't pass these first time you can write again. If you mess up too many times they might ask you to leave. It only gets more difficult...
You do need maths. One of the books you get for the course is called "Maths for Comm" and it refers to a Standard 9 requirement- {from the old SA school system - which ended with Std. 10}. The ASA CX-2 flight computer is standard (but only post PPL level), as is the Casio Fx82 calculator. Chapters in the book are:- Simple Arithmetic; Simple Algebra & Simple Formulae; Cross Multiplication; Percentages; Vectors; Averages; Trig; One in 60 Rule {a rule of thumb based on trig} and finally, Interpolation {working out what the next or missing number should be in a column of figures}. Most of this is either for Flight Planning & Performance or Navigation. Speed is quite important. You don't want to end up 10 Km off course while you try and work out some calculations! If you feel Maths will be a problem, ask the school to send you the Maths notes and do some practise examples before you get there. Get the contact details from their website and send them a letter. Don't leave it too late because there is probably a long waiting list already.
A great asset is having Geography as a school subject!
-What is exactly the price for all the training period and how long is it?
Last time I looked it was roughly R1000 per hour of flying training (incl. fuel). Also more than R150 a day for accomodation (incl. food). They work on a system where you pay an initial deposit of around R15000 before you arrive. You then pay money in to your account to keep it in credit, and it will get deducted whenever you 'purchase' something - like all the notes, some shirts, exam fees etc. The school will give you an idea of estimated final cost via a an initial quote. Remember they will not know whether you need 3 hours to learn something new or just 2. The weather will also play a factor and keep you at the base a bit longer. Expect to be at 43 for a year at least to get your Comm.
- When the lessons start? In january?
They have several intakes during the year. I don't recall exactly, but the intakes are arranged something like January/April/July/October. This is so they can fill the class - and they expect each person in the class to progress at much the same rate throughout the course. It's about allocating time and resources.
That's all for the moment
You will notice that my english is not so good lol But I will do a training period of 6 months for my last year in my business school in an English country to improve it
Make sure your English is polished. The exam questions are difficult enough for native English speakers to understand as it is. Maybe they were written by a Greek person??
Thanks in advance for your answers