PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2006, 21:53
dwhcomputers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even back in 1965 we had to wear civvies to travel to Singapore by British Eagle trooping flights from LHA so not such a new rule. Flying to the States by RAF VC10 in the 1970 civvies was the order of the day. Whilst appreciating that things have changed today there has to be times when uniform is acceptable and yet in spite of reading this tread from the beginning not one person has actually stated that they have been refused permission to fly because they had been wearing uniform.
The question was asked earlier “Do the US Services wear uniform when working in the Pentagon” certainly at the beginning of the 70s uniform was always the order of the day and worn proudly. There again they had a summer working uniform that looked smart not the bag of rags (60s FEAF style) that I was kitted out to wear.
Looked so bad that I was sent to the BX to purchase USAF uniforms and used Canadian Chevrons on it.
Discrimination against serviceman doesn’t end when you leave, many Local Authorities especially in the Midlands and the North refuse to employ ex service personnel or have to get special dispensation because they are in receipt of a Public Service Pension. Its allowable discrimination too. but I suppose that should be a seperate thread