PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth about RAF Flying
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2006, 07:30
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok you all have a point, reading over what i wrote, im not sure how i managed to write such bad grammer but i do infact get A*'s in English language and litrature and thats not a lie, so shh !
Right Gareth, you are taking quite a harsh ride so I'll try to answer your question gently. You asked about qualification and other requirements for joining the RAF as an officer. There are numerous requirements in widespread areas. You must exceed the RAF selection minimum standard in all of these areas if you hope to get through. Selection odds are fierce. These areas include, literacy, numeracy, medical, aptitude, personality and many more. The reason everyone is drawing attention to your literacy is that, at the moment, it is poor enough, I suspect, to cause you to fail selection regardless of your skills in other areas. Believe it or not, English is an assessed part of RAF Officer training.

But i know im perfectly capable of writing something formally and taking the time to make sure havnt made any mistakes.
As a case in point, I counted 7 mistakes in that sentence alone. The fact that the text suggests that you have checked that sentence's grammar and spelling and consider it to be free from errors, shows that your grasp of English is far below that which is required, regardless of what grades you may have previously attained. Quite frankly I would be stunned if writing skills such as yours would merit an A* at GCSE.

The military fraternity runs on fairly harsh banter to put a message across. The message here, from people who know, is that you need to put a bit more study time into your English if you hope to achieve your dream. Your 'A' grade alone clearly does not make you a master of the English language.

I'm not trying to sabotage the English language but I also won't pay much attention to such little things when I’m posting on an informal chat room or forum.
Not a good enough excuse, mate. Yes, stylistically email and web writing may acceptably be less formal but routinely incorrect spelling and punctuation is always sloppy. Bare in mind that you'd get torn apart at interview for using the 'I can't be bothered to make the effort unless I'm being assessed' excuse in any facet of selection. Don't be put off. Just remember that you asked the question and we gave you an answer. If you take it on board, you will improve your chances of doing in a few years what we do now.

Last edited by Fg Off Max Stout; 19th Jul 2006 at 08:04.