PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth about RAF Flying
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2006, 19:53
roush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth123
funny......real funny....
Sorry mate. One of the many traits of military personnel is the ‘need’ to jump on everyone’s mistakes and milk them for all they are worth. It’s called banter, and if you are successful in perusing a military career at your current literacy level you can expect loads of it.

That said, people on this board are trying to give you advice, if in a slightly patronising way (another military trait). Many people in the armed forces struggle with the written word and compose emails and letters in MS Word type programs before they post them.

Part of the selection process includes a written English element and telling them that you have an ‘A’ in English while they struggle to make sense of what you have placed in front of them won’t help you.

Try doing what Pontius has recommended. It makes you come across as far more mature and intelligent which in turn encourages people to treat you as such, believe me.

Without coming across as too pompous (I’m not one of the two wing master race so don’t suffer from the same elitism issues ) most of the people on these boards (myself excluded of course) are a few rungs above Joe Average. They have successfully managed to secure a career in their chosen fields, and have worked hard to be successful. Part of the esteem that the UK Armed Forces enjoys stems from the ability to learn and grow from past experiences of others. People become extremely proud and protective of their trades and spend a great deal of time training others to be likewise. So when someone starts asking questions about the job these people instantly start thinking “would I like to work with this person”? Ask yourself, would you like to fly with the person who wrote your initial post?

Go change your screen name and come back (or be a man and start again with your current name). You have made it to the correct place to get all the right info, you just didn’t introduce yourself very well.